American superstar Madonna was labelled throughout her music heyday as the ‘Queen of Pop’, a crown which has since been passed to younger pop babes heads. However, when it comes to the spoken word, Madonna is music’s very own ‘Queen of Quotes’, a crown which shows little sign of slipping even today. Here’s my list of some of the best Madonna quotes from music’s outspoken and often outrageous ‘Material Girl’.
Born in August 1958, Madonna Louise Ciccone burst onto the music scene in 1977 after moving from her birthplace of Michigan to New York. Performing with music groups such as Breakfast Club and Emmy, Madonna honed her stage act and released her debut album in 1983. Since then she has released many iconic singles and albums with worldwide number one hits with such as ‘Like a Virgin’, ‘Papa Don’t Preach’ and ’4 Minutes’.
- “I’ve always wanted to be taller. I feel like a shrimp, but that’s the way it goes. I’m five-foot four-and-a-half-inches – that’s actually average. Everything about me is average. Everything’s normal, in the books. It’s the things inside me that make me not average.”
- “In everyday life I am quiet and reserved, not the housekeeper type but cool and relaxed. I don’t get up in the morning wearing false eyelashes and I don’t wear fancy underwear when I’m cooking popcorn. I’m a nice little ducky.”
- “I have the most perfect belly button. When I stick my fingers in it, I feel a nerve in the center of my body shoot up my spine.”
Time magazine named Madonna as one of the most powerful women of the last century with her skills extending to film – Evita – and writing children’s books. In 1998, Madonna released her first album in several years, ‘A Ray of Light’, which rewarded her with her first Grammy Award. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008 and apart from acting, she has also directed several films herself. All these successes contrast deeply with her early life which was not always without incident and tragedy.
- “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.”
- “I want to be like Gandhi, and Martin Luther King, and John Lennon….. but I want to stay alive.”
- “When in doubt act like god.”
Madonna was only five years old when her mother died of breast cancer. For some time, she was so scared her father would be taken from her too, she found it difficult to sleep unless he was nearby. Her distress was obviously channelled into her academic life as despite some of her behaviour being that of a rebellious teenager, her school grades were very good.Indeed, at high school she was both a straight A student and a member of the cheerleaders squad.
- “ Gay men are perfect men for girls who are tough. They’re not threatened by strong women, and they’re usually very in touch with their feelings and pay attention to details. I’ve always had an affinity with gay men.”
- “Straight men need to be emasculated. I’m sorry. They all need to be slapped around. Women have been kept down for too long. Every straight guy should have a man’s tongue in his mouth at least once.”
- “ I don’t trust any man who hasn’t kissed another man.”
After dropping out of college she moved to New York and worked at Dunkin’ Donuts among other fast food places to finance her budding music career. Even then, life was not always pretty, one night after leaving a late rehearsal, she was dragged up an alley by two men and forced at knifepoint to perform a lewd sexual act upon them.
- “ I was sacked from Dunkin’ Donuts for squirting the donut jelly all over the customers.”
- “Everyone probably thinks that I’m a raving nymphomaniac, that I have an insatiable sexual appetite, when the truth is I’d rather read a book.”
- “Listen, everyone is entitled to my opinion.”
Her romantic attachments in those early years appeared to be all with a view to furthering her music ambitions, and this strategy proved to be a success. Her fame in music, films, fashion design and writing has made her a multi-millionaire, brought notoriety and made her a role model for women all over the world, and an object of desire for many men.
- “Better to live one year as a tiger, than a hundred as sheep.”
- “People think they will wake up one day and I’ll be gone. But I’m never going away.”
- “ Be strong, believe in freedom and in God, love yourself, understand your sexuality, have a sense of humor, mast***ate, don’t judge people by their religion, colour or sexual habits, love life and your family.”